Dating royal doulton series ware
Introduced in the early 1900s, Royal Doulton Series Ware features functional and ornamental pieces decorated with popular imagery.Many decorative techniques and glazes were developed to create the designs, which were often inspired by popular 19th century illustrators.
On 2 July 2015 the acquisition of WWRD by the Finnish company Fiskars Corporation was completed.
The Royal Doulton company began as a partnership between John Doulton, Martha Jones, and John Watts, with a factory at Vauxhall Walk, Lambeth, London trading as Jones, Watts & Doulton in 1815.
After Martha Jones left the partnership in 1820, the trade name was changed to Doulton & Watts. By 1871, Henry Doulton, John's son, launched a studio at the Lambeth pottery, and offered work to designers and artists from the nearby Lambeth School of Art.
The business specialised in making stoneware articles, including decorative bottles and salt glaze sewer pipes. The first to be engaged was George Tinworth followed by artists such as the Barlow family (Florence, Hannah, and Arthur), Frank Butler, Mark Marshall and Eliza Simmance.
In 1882, Doulton purchased the small factory of Pinder, Bourne & Co, at Nile Street in Burslem, Staffordshire, which placed Doulton in the region known as The Potteries. Alban's Church was built in Copenhagen, Denmark, in 1887 with Alexandra, Princess of Wales as one of the driving forces, Doulton donated and manufactured an altarpiece, a pulpit and a font.
They were executed in terra cotta with glazed details to the design of Tinworth.